HAVING cancelled the first three championships of the 2020 season because of the coronavirus outbreak, Scottish Golf is urging clubs worried about the financial impact of the growing pandemic to seek Government help.
A number of clubs north of the border have already been in touch with golf’s governing body over requests for financial assistance to assist from the expected drops in incomes the golf industry will face as people comply with Government advice to avoid widescale social contact.
Scottish Golf spokesman Cameron McLay said: “We have been asked by clubs about potential financial assistance from Government in light of announcements made last week.
“Our number one priority remains the safety and wellbeing of our community of golfers, clubs, volunteers and staff, ensuring that everyone is able to enjoy our great sport in a safe environment.”
Clubs worried about the financial impact of the restrictions advising the public to avoid travel wherever possible, and forcing sporting bodies to close down many events both locally and nationally, have been advised to contact the Scottish Government, which has already offered a support package worth £320million.
“Scottish Golf remains committed to ensuring the appropriate representations take place to ensure the concerns of our golf clubs are heard,” Mr McLay said.
More information about about support from Holyrood for businesses hit by the coronavirus outbreak can find out more about the support on offer by clicking here.
Help spread best practice on coronavirus says Scottish Golf
IN Scottish Golf”s latest advice given to golf clubs about the growing threat of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, it urged golf clubs to share their best practices on adapting their businesses to the health scare.
In its statement issued on Tuesday, Scottish Golf said: “We are aware of clubs looking to put in place specific changes to their business operations as part of their response to COVID-19.
“In this regard, we would welcome clubs to share their best practice with Scottish Golf which will allow us to share it with the wider golfing community in Scotland.
“Scottish Golf are aware that this is a difficult and concerning time for everyone involved in our game and we are committed to communicating with you in a timely manner regarding the latest developments relating to COVID-19.”
To support everyone during this period, a new designated area on the Scottish Golf website has been set up to ensure updates are clear and accessible to all. Click here to access them.
Delamare Forest’s James Ashfield won the 2019 Scottish Boys Open Championship at West Kilbride GC.
The Scottish Boys Open Championship at North Berwick and the Scottish Girls at Powfoot, from April 8-10, have both been cancelled while the Helen Holm Scottish Women’s Open at Royal Troon, from April 17-19, has also been called off.
And they have not ruled out calling off more events as the season unfolds.Scottish Golf said: “We took the decision to cancel a number of our national championships in April, and we will continue to monitor our events calendar on an ongoing basis as matters develop.”
Scottish Golf have also taken the decision to cancel all non-essential face-to-face meetings involving their staff, effective from the weekend until end of April.
“This will be reviewed on an ongoing basis and where we are able to, we will look at ways to communicate using technology,” Mr McLay added.
All Scottish Golf staff will be working from home as soon as is practicable, and in line with the golf union’s disaster recovery plans.
“If you need to get in touch with a member of the Scottish Golf team, fill out the contact us form on Scottish Golf’s website and a member of staff will be in touch.” the spokesman added.
Scottish Golf committed to working with Government over coronavirus outbreak
WHEN Scottish Golf cancelled the first three championships of the 2020 season last week, officers said the main reason for calling the tournaments off was because of the interntaional fields they attract.
In the statement released late on Friday afternoon, Scottish Golf said: “While golf is a sport that allows players to exercise outdoor in the fresh air where the risk of contracting COVID-19 is low, Scottish Golf’s decision has been made recognising that these events all attract international fields, to ensure the risk to competitors, officials and spectators is minimised.
“Scottish Golf will continue to respect government advice and work in partnership with organisations across the golf industry and more information about other national championships will be communicated as this developing situation continues.
“All entrants of the impacted events will receive a full refund and Scottish Golf will issue further guidance to those affected in due course.”