Golfers who find their way to Notts Golf Club at Hollinwell know they have arrived at a very special place from the moment they turn the final bend on the long driveway to the Club and see a magnificent view of the course and imposing clubhouse ahead of them.
Set in the gently rolling hills of North Nottinghamshire in the heart of Robin Hood Country, only 10 minutes from the M1 J27, Hollinwell is one of England’s best kept golfing secrets and offers one of the finest examples of traditional heathland golf in Great Britain.
The Club has hosted many top professional and amateur events throughout its long history:
- Dunlop Masters, John Player Classic
- British Boys Championship in 2012 won by Matthew Fitzpatrick
- The Brabazon Trophy for the fifth time in 2015
- Final Open Qualifying 2017 – The course was already in such good condition that the club was able to prepare very quickly for this highly prestigious event and hosted a fantastic day with around 1000 spectators enjoying top quality golfers competing for a place at the 146th Open.
- Previously ranked in ‘The Top 100 Courses of the World’, Hollinwell is climbing again in all accredited golf course rankings:
- Recognition of Hollinwell as a high quality tournament venue came from the R & A by awarding it Final Open Qualifying from 2018 however the club was further delighted and honoured at very short notice to provide an additional venue for Final Open Qualifying a year ahead of schedule in 2017.
- 2017 Golf Monthly Top 100 Courses UK and Ireland, Hollinwell rose 8 places to 40th.
- Fine Golf rates the club as – “giving a 4 star joy to be alive feeling”
- Brian Waites, successful tournament pro and Ryder Cup player, was also the Club’s professional for many years.
- Mel Reid, successful Ladies European Tour and Solheim Cup player, is attached to Hollinwell
The members at Hollinwell are very proud of their club which is one of the great tests of golf, and extend a warm welcome to visitors from near and far. Go and view Robin Hood’s seat behind the second green, take a drink from the Hollin Well by the 8th tee that gives the course its name and soak up the atmosphere that only comes with a course of great stature and a wonderful history.
Situated approximately 3 miles from J27 of the M1 north of Nottingham, laid out on over 400 acres of free draining sandstone. Consequently play is possible all year round making it an ideal venue summer or winter.
There are few, if any, sterner tests in England playing from the championship blocks with the course measuring 7250 yards and with a standard scratch score of 76 against the par of 72. This examination is only for the very brave accomplished golfer.
Visitors may play from either red, yellow and white tees dependant on handicap. Advice on which tee can be obtained from the pro shop to ensure the Hollinwell experience is an enjoyable one. The course still measures in excess of 6,900 yards from the whites (SSS 75) and 6,600 yards from the yellow tees (SSS 73). There are very few courses where play from the general play tees provides a standard scratch over the course par.
That said, Hollinwell remains an immensely playable course, and good golf will be suitably rewarded. We are pleased to be reviewed by Fine Golf from which the following quote is taken.
“The course is situated in a natural valley within Kirkby Forest that utilises the naturally undulating terrain to the full. Some fairways sweep through wooded hillsides and others run through heather, fern and gorse clad valleys.
The Notts Golf Club was formed in 1887 and moved to Hollinwell in 1890, when the twice Open Champion, Willie Park Jr was invited to lay out a new 18-hole course.
The Park routing makes this one of the greatest inland courses.
In the same way that he maximised the use of height in the ground at Sunningdale Old, here he used the natural contours of the Valley of Kirkby Forest, creating a course of just short of 6000 yards which was long in those days using gutta percha balls and hickory clubs. The strength of challenge continues today exemplified by a par of 72 and SSS 76 from the Championship tees which measures 7250 yards!”
Tees Yards Par SSS
Red 5871 70 70
Yellow 6619 yds Par 72 SSS 73
White 6914 yds Par 72 SSS 75
Blue 7250 yds Par 72 SSS 76
To see more…. http://www.nottsgolfclub.co.uk/the-course/scorecards/
Hole by Hole Tour
Plan ahead for your visit to Hollinwell and make the most of your round with our course map. For a more detailed visual of the 18 holes, click on the map or the individual hole images below. You can also read the helpful tips from our resident professional Mike Bradley.
Local Accommodation available at:
Local Accommodation available at The Mour Hotel ( Junction 27), The Derbyshire Hotel (Junction 28) and Rooms 281, Mansfield.
Holly Lodge B & B a small guest house in Ravenshead 01623 793853 which has been highly recommended.